Hi, all. If you’ve been in the newsroom today you probably noticed we moved desks and computers arund today. If you haven’t, stop in and tell me what you think. A few things to note:
1. We may add some more computers to the print area. I think we were shooting for 8, but I think I included the computer we use for marrying pages in that count by mistake. The imaging process may make a difference on this; scroll down for more.
2. I’ll probably move a few computers around tomorrow so we can have as many as possible of the larger iMacs at the hub desk.
3. For images, I’m building basically three:
- Newsroom: has browsers, Office, Cyberduck, various codecs and players, MPEG Streamclip, VLC, Handbrake, and CS5.
- Photo: Newsroom + Photo Mechanic + Photoshop custom actions
- Print: Newsroom but with CS2 instead of CS5, and PlanSystem.
That obviously limits the number of print stations we can use. (I’d rather have CS5 all the way across, but our publishing company’s software is not compatible with the type of PDF that CS5 generates.)
4. The cables run across the floor are temporary in some cases (those near the print pod) and permanent in others (those near the hub desk and ICE desk). We will create more permanent trip strips there so they don’t stay taped down.
5. We should be done with images by the end of the day tomorrow, and will use next week to test them and then image computers.
Any questions, let me know. It’s been a long day and I feel like I’m forgetting something, so don’t hesitate to ask.